In a sideshow, there is a hierarchy with the highest-paid performers being the natural-born freaks. Working Acts-- like sword swallowers, fire-eaters, magicians (especially)-- were considered interchangeable.
Every season the show needed a sword swallower, a fire eater, and a magician. The word would go out and often on the smaller shows the performer willing to work the cheapest got the job.
- DIME MUSEUM
- SEX ! ! !
- Freak and Novelty Performer Advertising (10)
- The Unknown Performers (2)
- Showmen & Promoters (59)
- Balloons and Airships (1)
- Banners & Banner Painters (41)
- Confections, Snacks and Refreshments (11)
- Fortune Tellers, Psychics, Spirtualists, Mindreaders (14)
- Punch & Judy, Puppets, Marionettes (11)
- Trade Publications (13)
- Funhouse, Dark Ride, Spook Show (2)
Performers in this category
JOIN THE SHOW!
You're missing all sorts of good stuff. If you were a member, you would see thousands of color images, detailed biographies and all sorts of fascinating information about each image. Why not BECOME A MEMBER today?