Originating in Europe, where they were attached to an academic institution or medical practitioner, the Anatomical Museum found its way to America where in the late-19th century these private museums became a way to entertain the morbidly curious as well as those hoping to self-diagnose disease.
Venues of this type
- New York Museum of Anatomy
- Dr. Becker's Anatomical Museum (Baltimore)
- Dr. Linn's Museum of Anatomy (Buffalo)
- World's Musee of Anatomy (Chicago)
- Dr. Kahn's Museum of Anatomy (New York)
- European Anatomical, Pathological and Ethnological Museum (Philadelphia)
- Drs. S. & D. Davieson's Grand Museum of Anatomy (St. Louis)
- Dr. Heidemann's Anatomical Museum (Manchester, England)
- Liverpool Museum of Anatomy (Liverpool, England)
JOIN THE SHOW!
You're missing all sorts of good stuff. If you were a member, you would see thousands of color images, detailed biographies and all sorts of fascinating information about each image. Why not BECOME A MEMBER today?