If the collective knowledge of Showhistory.com founders D.B. Doghouse and James Taylor could be plucked from them whole, pickled, bottled and displayed under canvas on a lighted stand with a freshly-painted Johnny Meah banner out front, you'd have one hell of a great Single-O. Then again, the beefs would be legendary, and you'd definitely burn the lot.
That said, we love this stuff. And by stuff we mean the whole of the world and history of novelty, variety and sideshow. We hope this ongoing, growing image archive and encyclopedia gives you a glimpse into the rich history of the business. We hope you will become a Member and help defray the cost of building the site and paying for its ongoing maintenance and improvement. Or just enjoy the free stuff and email us any ideas, gripes, beefs, suggestions, recommendations, improvements, images, information, and if so inclined-- ask to become a contributor.
--- D.B. Doghouse and James Taylor
- DIME MUSEUM
- SEX ! ! !
- Freak and Novelty Performer Advertising (7)
- The Unknown Performers (2)
- Showmen & Promoters (58)
- Balloons and Airships (1)
- Banners & Banner Painters (41)
- Confections, Snacks and Refreshments (10)
- Fortune Tellers, Psychics, Spirtualists (12)
- Punch & Judy, Puppets, Marionettes (10)
- Trade Publications (13)
- Funhouse, Dark Ride, Spook Show (2)