Violetta "The Half-Woman"
Become a member today to see the image(s) below in full resolution color. In addition, you'll gain access to detailed info on each performer and image in the collection.
Aloisia Wagner was born in Hemelingen, Germany in 1906 or 1907 without arms or legs. Subsequently, she entered show business when she was 15 as Violetta Rosa or Rose Violetta. She later shortened this to Violetta and came to the US in 1924 to tour with Ringling Bros. Barnum and Bailey Sideshow. The next year she was at Coney Island's Dreamland Circus Sideshow. While she had no hint of arms or legs, she could write quite well with a pen in her mouth-- see her signature on the verso of a postcard, catalogue #2444.
Related Archive Photos
- DIME MUSEUM
- SEX ! ! !
- Freak and Novelty Performer Advertising (10)
- The Unknown Performers (2)
- Showmen & Promoters (59)
- Balloons and Airships (1)
- Banners & Banner Painters (41)
- Confections, Snacks and Refreshments (11)
- Fortune Tellers, Psychics, Spirtualists, Mindreaders (14)
- Punch & Judy, Puppets, Marionettes (11)
- Trade Publications (13)
- Funhouse, Dark Ride, Spook Show (2)
JOIN THE SHOW!
You're missing all sorts of good stuff. If you were a member, you would see thousands of color images, detailed biographies and all sorts of fascinating information about each image. Why not BECOME A MEMBER today?