Become a member today to see the image(s) below in full resolution color. In addition, you'll gain access to detailed info on each performer and image in the collection.
Born 1843, near Nossville, Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania, Isaac Stake was born legless, and had hands that were mostly useless due to a form of muscular atrophy. In photographs he is always shown in his custom wooden three-wheeled cart. Disdaining dime museums, Stake preferring to make his living by selling "notions," such as cigars, pencils, combs, and photos of himself. Of dime museums he said "I would about as soon go at once into a penitentiary. They keep you so close, you know, for fear people will see you on the outside."
Related Archive Photos
- DIME MUSEUM
- SEX ! ! !
- Freak and Novelty Performer Advertising (10)
- The Unknown Performers (2)
- Showmen & Promoters (59)
- Balloons and Airships (1)
- Banners & Banner Painters (41)
- Confections, Snacks and Refreshments (11)
- Fortune Tellers, Psychics, Spirtualists, Mindreaders (14)
- Punch & Judy, Puppets, Marionettes (11)
- Trade Publications (13)
- Funhouse, Dark Ride, Spook Show (2)
JOIN THE SHOW!
You're missing all sorts of good stuff. If you were a member, you would see thousands of color images, detailed biographies and all sorts of fascinating information about each image. Why not BECOME A MEMBER today?