Become a member today to see the image(s) below in full resolution color. In addition, you'll gain access to detailed info on each performer and image in the collection.
The Bayrooty Troupe, from Mount Lebanon, Syria, managed by westerner Barry Gray, performed Arabic music, acrobatics, dancing as "Whirling Dervishes," "Gun Spinning, Sword Combats." They performed in circuses, dime museums, sideshows and eventually vaudeville, starting in about 1898. They appeared with Ringling Brother Circus earlier on, and were described as "Maronite Christians." Dancer Marie Bayrooty was the star, and she and the troupe appeared at the Dreamland Coney Island, as later as part of the Sells-Floto Sideshow.
- DIME MUSEUM
- SEX ! ! !
- Freak and Novelty Performer Advertising (7)
- The Unknown Performers (2)
- Showmen & Promoters (58)
- Balloons and Airships (1)
- Banners & Banner Painters (41)
- Confections, Snacks and Refreshments (10)
- Fortune Tellers, Psychics, Spirtualists (12)
- Punch & Judy, Puppets, Marionettes (10)
- Trade Publications (13)
- Funhouse, Dark Ride, Spook Show (2)
JOIN THE SHOW!
You're missing all sorts of good stuff. If you were a member, you would see thousands of color images, detailed biographies and all sorts of fascinating information about each image. Why not BECOME A MEMBER today?