Houdini's Inspiration-- H.C. Maxey "Needle Eater"
Well-realized cabinet card bust portrait of H.C. Maxey, who has been cited as Harry Houdini's inspiration for learning the needle trick. In addition to doing the "Human Ostrich" act, Maxey swallowed needles and thread-- and as Houdini later presented to great acclaim-- Maxey produced them from his mouth strung on the thread. On verso: Written in pencil "H.C. Maxey, Harry Crosland, Neadle [sic] Eater"
Become a member today to see the image(s) below in full resolution color. In addition, you'll gain access to detailed info on each performer and image in the collection.
- DIME MUSEUM
- SEX ! ! !
- Freak and Novelty Performer Advertising (7)
- The Unknown Performers (2)
- Showmen & Promoters (58)
- Balloons and Airships (1)
- Banners & Banner Painters (41)
- Confections, Snacks and Refreshments (10)
- Fortune Tellers, Psychics, Spirtualists (12)
- Punch & Judy, Puppets, Marionettes (10)
- Trade Publications (13)
- Funhouse, Dark Ride, Spook Show (2)
JOIN THE SHOW!
You're missing all sorts of good stuff. If you were a member, you would see thousands of color images, detailed biographies and all sorts of fascinating information about each image. Why not BECOME A MEMBER today?