Sideshow Banner Vs. Reality
"It Is The Front Of The Show That Gets The Dough"
That maxim of the sideshow business from it's earliest days-- either originally coined by banner painter E.H. Caldwell, or at least popularized by him-- tells us all we need to know as to why sideshow banners must lie so well, and so often.
To put it another way-- and to paraphrase showman Kroger Babb-- the sideshow banner is "the sizzle that sells the steak."
In this article I hope to show various banners and the reality behind their performers.
(To be continued).
Become a member today to see the image(s) below in full resolution color. In addition, you'll gain access to detailed info on each performer and image in the collection.
- DIME MUSEUM
- SEX ! ! !
- Freak and Novelty Performer Advertising (7)
- The Unknown Performers (2)
- Showmen & Promoters (58)
- Balloons and Airships (1)
- Banners & Banner Painters (41)
- Confections, Snacks and Refreshments (10)
- Fortune Tellers, Psychics, Spirtualists (12)
- Punch & Judy, Puppets, Marionettes (10)
- Trade Publications (13)
- Funhouse, Dark Ride, Spook Show (2)